Julianne

Default "SuperMarket Me" - A documentary on my health problems from eating supermarket food

om...

> > Your parody, while most amusing, addresses individuals making choices

and
> > being accountable. Unless, of course, it isn't a parody and you are

really
> > considering becoming a woman. Now, that would make a really interesting
> > documentary.

> I am not considering becoming a woman. However, if I had breasts I'd
> never have to leave my house.
>
> And btw, to your point- it's not a statement about fast food or eating
> habits, in general, it's a statement about/against mcdonalds,
> specifically. It's titled "Supersize Me". The guy only ate at
> mcdonalds. This is targeted, unfairly so. (Mcdonald's fatty food
> isn't even the worst- taco bell is.) I posted all about it here, if
> you ca http://tinyurl.com/2kkga

I hadn't looked at it as an attack against a specific corporation before but
you do have a valid point. I saw McD's as a symbol of American Fast Food
because it is the most popular. I saw it as a statement in general about
our cavalier attitude to fast food. I can see how McDonald's could feel as
though it was a unfair attack when Taco Bell, Burger King, etc. are all
selling these types of food.

Having said that, I will admit that if I were in the food industry, I would
do exactly as these major chains have done. I would offer the food in large
quantities that made me the most money. It is how business works. If I
only offered Tofu and salads, my customers would go elsewhere. I do not
blame the industry. The industry will only change as consumers change. It
is good business sense to 'supersize' as it is generally the fries and soft
drinks that are supersized and these are cheap for the restaurants.

Having said that, a situation arose today where I had to tear out here at
2:00 to complete some business in New Orleans by 4:30. It is an hour from h
ere if traffic is good. It is seldom good and I was in a panic. When I
completed my business, I drove a few miles to access the freeway. The whole
time, I was starving and wanting something to eat. Unless I felt like
taking the time to stop and eat which I didn't want to do, there was little
available. Yes, I could have ordered a salad at McDonald's but eating it at
70 miles an hour is hardly practical. I could have stopped at La Madeline's
for soup and salad but that would have required more time than I had. I am
comfortable eating Arby's home-style sandwiches on wheat bread but there
were no Arby's on my route. Hopefully, the fast food industry will realize
there is a market for convenient healthy food on the run.