Von Fourche

Default How to Make Gomme/Sugar Syrup?

I'm a cooking newbie so need some help with some simple instructions.

I'm currently trying my hand at making tropical drinks. One ingratiate
that many drinks have is gomme/sugar syrup.

I have a book with tropical drink recipes and it includes instructions
on making my own sugar syrup.

I need help with the instructions. Here they a

1. Gradually stir 2 cups of granulated sugar into
1 cup of boiling water in a saucepan.

2. Bring to the boil and simmer.

3. Skim it, leave to cool, and pour into small, clean bottles.

4. Store in a dark cupboard.

Ok, I know how to bring water to a boil (when it all bubbles) but what
does it mean to simmer and then skim it? After it boils then how do I go
about simmering it and skimming it?

Also, do stores even sell gomme syrup for drinks?

Is there a better way to make this syrup?

Thanks for the info and help!