Gordon Hayes

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
m...
> Dusty Bleher wrote:
> > "Will" > wrote in message
> > news:mailman.0.1121536452.12629.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...
> >
> >>Back to the beans.
> >>
> >>They are like dough. The flavor will develop and mature if you give them
> >>time. A two or three day cool soak before cooking works wonders.

> > Okay. I'm soaking 'em, Will. So, which is it? Two days or three?

What's
> > the diff? Also, do they cook any different (read: faster)?

> I believe they will cook faster, after soaking. Hell, that's the only
> reason I knew for soaking them! I'll definately have to try a longer
> soak, next batch. I made quite a series of attempts, trying to come
> close to the sweet, smoky, black beans at El Pollo Loco. Now I'll be
> back to the "lab"!
>
> Dave

Faster cooking was probably one of the main reasons our ancestors soaked
their beans before cooking. It soes allow them to cook in a shorter time.
Therefore, less firewood.

But another benefit of soaking the beans is that the phytic acid is
disipated (sp?). This means that the nutrients in the beans are more readily
available to the one eating them.This is one of the reasons that Dr. Jordan
Rubin recommends breads made with sourdough or sprouted grains.

Gordon