Melba's Jammin'

In article et>, "Ceil
Wallace" > wrote:

> When I make streusel using butter, flour, sugar (brown or white) and
> cinnamon it never comes out like the streusel I get on cakes and buns
> from the bakery. Mine gets a bit crisp while the bakery streusel is
> nice and soft and is formed in little round clumps rather than loose
> and granular like mine. Is there a specific technique or what am I
> doing wrong?

Here's the streusel recipe from the Cook's Illustrated article about
Blueberry Buckle, July-August issue, page 23:

Streusel
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp grandulated sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch table salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, softened but still
cool.

In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, combine flour, sugars,
cinanmon, and salt on low speed until weel combined and no large brown
sugar lumps remain, about 45 econds. Add butter and mix on low until
mixture resembles wet sand and no large butter pieces remain, about
2-1/2 minutes.

Put streusel on whatever you're topping this way: Squeeze portion of
streusel in hand to form large cohesive clump; break up clump with
fingers and sprinkle streusel evenly over batter (see photo they
provide. :-0) Repeat with remaining streusel.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 7/8/05 WeBeJammin'!