Roy

>Any suggestions on where to purchase SAPP and/or monocalcium sulfate in
>home-use quantities? I can only find a single source of commercial
>corn-free double acting baking powder (Ener-G Foods), and it's both
>expensive and fairly long lead ordering. Seems like I could blend my
>own, even without the obligatory starch extender (although I'd need to
>adjust my usage downwards a bit, inthat case.)

Hello Dave,
Hmmn I am not sure...if you can get this food grade chemical OTC. But
give it a try<g>.
But I hope you won't mind for a correction; acid sodium pyrophosphate
had a double reaction, first it reacts during the dough stage or
preparation and further on the oven side( baking process).
The number after the SAPP signifies roughly the reaction rate;
You should be aware of such numbers as some suppliers/retailers got
mixed up with it.
The commonly used baking powder grade is an average speed material; not
too slow and not too fast, that is SAPP 28, if the number goes higher
say 36 that is moderately fast and good only for cake donuts.Meanwhile
the slower SAPP22 and below are for frozen dough application.
. I know a well known supplier,in which I bought tons of my
chemical leavening acids for my production of bakery prepared mixes
several years back.
It is Budenheim of Germany They have all the kinds of phosphates being
used in chemical leavening industry as well as food stabilizers.
Ewrc.
http://www.cfb-budenheim.de/dbw/public_cfb/Homepage/$frameset/Start
Previously ....
I bought from that supplier ton quantities of monocalcium phosphate
monohydrate, three different classes of acidic SAPP; namely SAPP
22,SAPP 28 and SAPP 36-40, dicalcum phosphate, sodium aluminum
phosphate., disodium phosphate and tetrasodium pyrophosphate In my
experience with Budenheim they suppled the lowest priced material with
the same specification as the higher prices products from Stauffer
Chemicals, Monsanto,Albright Wilson.
These are my supplier for sodium bicarbonate
http://www.brunnermond.com/whatfor/AppsFood.pdf
http://www.ahperformance.com/index.asp
The cheapest SAPP baking powder grade is from Korea and China.
If you want to buy a bottle of it say a kilogram quantity you should
try contacting those suppliers if they want to retail. Because IIRC,
the smallest quantity that I bought from them for pilot scale product
development trials was a 25 kg bag.
By the way these technical papers ( previously )r on tortilla
leavening agents which might be of interest to the people here which
was in my file and these is the link for the scientifically minded
TORTILLEROS<grin>
http://www.aaccnet.org/cerealchemist...s/1215-02R.pdf
http://www.innophos.com/PDF/AACC%20Tortilla%20Paper.pdf

Roy