Dusty Bleher

"Will" > wrote in message
news:mailman.0.1121536452.12629.rec.food.sourdough @mail.otherwhen.com...
> Dusty,
>
> Now that you've conquered the tortillas and hence the relatives, an
> opportunity remains: the beans <g>... I had another look at your site
> (lotsa good stuff there by the way... even more than the last time I
> visited)
>
> Back to the beans.
>
> They are like dough. The flavor will develop and mature if you give them
> time. A two or three day cool soak before cooking works wonders. Makes
> them sweeter. I don't know why, I think the beans are fooled into thinking
> they are supposed to germinate so the latent enzymes wake up. Anyway...
> they improve quite a bit. You can taste the difference between an ordinary
> soaked bean and an "aged" soaked bean.

What a wonderful and interesting idea! I'd not heard that from anyone
before.

I do know that sprouting things does indeed release some of the enzymes. So
this certainly makes some sense. Methinks I'm gonna try a small batch
starting tonight.

Just let them soak in cold tap-water for a couple of days...right? And then
cook 'em in the usual manner?

Thanks, Will. I'm gonna give that a shot...

Dusty