Roy

>The overall result, according to my very opinionated Hispanic critics, was
>_far_ superior to store-bought. Woo-hoo! High praise from steely-eyed
>critics indeed.

I think you've done a nice job Dusty by reengineering the flour
tortilla;<grin>
It reminds me of a single layered arabic bread which has similar
recipe and procedure..
A typical example is the Iranian Sangak and the Egyptian Shamsy which
are sourdough flat breads but is not allowed to form a pocket.
Definitely its texture would be different from the typical flour
tortillas Yankees know about.

>At any rate, you're all welcome to take a lash at 'em. Let us know how you
>made out... I'm especially interested if I've made any errors in my recipe.
>My goal is to make the process easy, simple, and easily replicated by
>others. If I've failed in that anywhere, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me
>know...

Regarding that point you had done satisfactorily ; in addition you
simplified the procedures to the point that other interested readers
will be encouraged to try;
One point that you emphasizes is the proper control of baking
temperature/heat.
In the related Arabic bread I mentioned that formation of pockets and
large bubbles are prevented by docking( rolling pin with spikes)
rolled through the dough before baking. To promote an even thickness
and elimination of holes.
Roy