enigma

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> I assume that organic milk is milk produced (by cows)
> without the antibiotics, cows not being fed on their own
> species, and whatever that hormone is that makes their bag
> expand and produce a larger volume of milk.

organic milk is from cows fed only certified organic
hay/grain, so no cow parts (technically illegal in the US, but
they do reuse waste/bedding & use chicken feathers/bedding in
cattle feed) & limited antibiotics (usually cows undergoing
treatment are removed from the milk string). no bovine growth
hormones.

> Using milk occasionally, organic yogurt more often, and
> being a cheese-eater, and and a large portion of the cheese
> I eat being imported, I oft wonder if Parmesan Reggiano and
> Grana Padano is made from milk that is more organic than
> not, as well as one of my favorite cheeses, Jarlsberg
> (Norway).
> Has anyone investigated European cheeses regarding their
> lack of the above-mentioned additives.

i don't think *any* European country allows BGH. European
farmers use less antibiotics. i can't tell you what is in
thier grain mixes however (unless you want to send me over to
check?). since the mad cow business they've been a lot more
careful about animal parts in the feed though. thier standards
overall are higher than most US standards.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery