Dusty Bleher

"Roy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >because the myth that sourdough is "the" ancient method of
>>leavening seems to be widespread.

"Myth?" Perhaps. But from having studied the recipes for many other
flatbreads from around the world and throughout history, I find that they
have much in common as well. And one of the more pervasive commonalities is
the use of what seems to be sourdough as leavening.

> A flour tortilla is not the same as the pita.....
> I am not aware of the exact history of flour tortilla ...I presume its
> an American creation... as Mexicans created the corn based item.

Yep. Given the dearth of historically oriented information available about
the tortilla, I'd have to agree with you, Roy.

However, since this is a SD newsgroup and for dietary considerations of my
own, and cuz I really, really like a good tortilla, I've decided to pursue
the SD tortilla.

Last night I made another batch. See:
http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...illas.htm#more
for details.

They came out WONDERFUL! While I'm still gonna hafta work on my flattening
technique, they came out tender; just the right amount of "chewy", and
distinguishable only in texture from the commercial ones--the flavor of
which we'd grown to like (we were doing side-by-side comparisons). The
texture of the commercial ones was harder, as they were flatter and dryer
than those we made.

The overall result, according to my very opinionated Hispanic critics, was
_far_ superior to store-bought. Woo-hoo! High praise from steely-eyed
critics indeed.

At any rate, you're all welcome to take a lash at 'em. Let us know how you
made out... I'm especially interested if I've made any errors in my recipe.
My goal is to make the process easy, simple, and easily replicated by
others. If I've failed in that anywhere, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me
know...

Regards all,
Dusty