Donna Pattee

In article .com>,
gjgee > wrote:
><I was too upset to accept any
>compensation offered>
>
>What did they offer? Why would you not accept compensation?
>
><but still shocked that on my $86
>tab they charged me a $10 corkage fee on my bottle of
>wine.>
>
>Is the corkage fee posted on the menu or elsewhere? If so, they are
>fully in line to charge you for that.
>
><I left a note on the receipt to the waiter that due to
>the actions of the owner he would not be receiving a
>tip. I also commended him and the chef on their
>service.>
>
>I feel this is wrong, VERY wrong. As A.C. noted, you only hurt the
>waiter, whom you commended for good service. That makes no sense. You
>get good service, you tip. How is this supposed to affect the owner?
>
>Sounds like you were just trying to make an unfortunate situation worse
>by being difficult. The owner has no control over his guests and if he
>offered to move you to a different table, away from the crying child,
>why didn't you just move and get on with your romantic dinner?
>
><While I think I should have walked out, my wife was
>looking forward too much to her Duck breast with a
>Lobster Tail>
>
>What did your wife think?

Of course, I have to wonder why the owner could move the couple who
preferred to be seated in the quieter part of the restaurant but
couldn't have put the family with the crying child in the less-quiet
part of the restaurant to begin with. The op said the child came in
crying and wanting to leave, so why start them in the quieter section?

(But, it still wasn't the waiter's fault.)