cathyxyz

Dave Smith wrote:
> "-L." wrote:
>

>>You were wrong not to tip the waiter if his service was good. The
>>manager did what he could to accomodate you. You're being a prat.
>>
>>That being said, the couple should not bring young children to that
>>restaurant except on "family night", if they offer one

> If they must allow young children into a nice restaurant, they could at
> least put the people with screaming kids in the noisy part and leave
> the quiet section for those who are there for a quiet meal.

I agree. We never take our toddler to a "nice restaurant". It's not good
for the toddler, the parents or fair to the other diners. We have taken
our toddler out four of five times to a restaurant - but usually only at
lunch-time (the latest was 5pm). And then we take her to kid-friendly
places, hopefully with a garden of some sort. The one we like best has
swings and jumping-castles etc. in their garden especially for the kids.
The food is actually surprisingly good too! I had mussels and sole the
last time we were there. The waiters and management are very helpful and
friendly and are very used to the kids. They of course have a "kiddies
menu" as well. The "inside" of this place is for the adults!

Now my gripe. Restaurants that have TV's to watch sports matches while
eating, are just not my idea of fun. We got caught like that once - we
decided to try a restaurant that had recently opened... All was going
well until we had just finished our starters. The manager walked in and
switched on a TV in our section of the restaurant, followed by another
man with a drink in his hand, who promptly sat down at a table directly
in front of the TV. When we objected to this, the manager said "The TV
in the bar is not working, so this customer has to watch the match
somewhere". We asked for the bill, paid it and left. (And we still
tipped the waiter). We just don't go into new places anymore, without
checking for TV's... That's a quick way to spoil a romantic dinner too,
IMO

Cathy