Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> Could it have originated as a result of prohibition in the US? After the
> repeal of prohibition by the Federal Government, individual state and
> county governments created their own laws regarding the sale and
> consumption of alcoholic beverages. IINM, some states/counties still do.
> For example, some eating establishments may not sell booze, but they are
> allowed to accomodate the patron who brings their own.

Around here many towns have limited the number of liquor liscences.
This is because they don't want booze sold on every corner, even in
restaurants. Even if a restaurant qualifies for a license doesn't mean
there are any available. They have to wait until someone else goes out
of business. And, no, they are not cheap, last I heard.

nancy