SportKite1

Default Using pork tenderloin as chile base

>From: (butch burton)

>Whole pork tenderloins in shrink plastic wrap are at around $1.70/# in
>my neck of the woods and was wondering how they would work in a TX
>chile recipe instead of ground chuck. Anybody ever tried this.

To me using pork tenderloin in chile verde would be the same as using beef
tenderloin in chile colorado. I wouldn't "stew" it as usual, but roasted, then
sliced and served with a great chile verde sauce would be a tasty presentation.

We've been on a chile verde kick lately, it's easy and as good as any I've ever
had. I brown one inch cubes of pork loin in olive oil, then remove them to the
dutch oven. Then I saute chopped onions and garlic in the drippings until
carmelized, adding them to the cassarole with the pork. Then I deglaze the pan
with 1 cup of light beef stock, adding a jar of Rick Bayless's jarred Tomatillo
salsa, stir through and add to the cassarole, and cover with lid. Bake in a 325
oven for 2 hours. The pork is tender, but holds it's shape beautifully. And the
gravy is unbelievably yummy. Served over mexican style rice with pintos and
warm tortillas. Fabulous!

Ellen