Mydnight

Rebecca,

If I could find some decent, reliable stats, I'd surely give them to
the group, but since it is so far from anything having to do with tea
and nearly impossible to find real stats in China, I don't want to
bother. Literacy is as literacy is in most countries; around the
larger cities and civilization, it is usually higher than the rural
places. It's much more dramatic here, though, in that rural is
reaaaaaallly rural. Some of the farm houses that I've stayed in don't
have any books (let alone 4 walls) in them and if they could afford
books, they would probably spend the money on something that has more
relevance in their lives. I am an advocate for rural literacy and I
spend much time volunteering, if I have any time, teaching in rural
schools around China. I think I have a pretty good grasp of what's
really going on around here in that I've been north, south, east, and
west regardless as to how pointless and limited others view my
experience as.

And, joke or not, I still stand by my understanding and explanation of
his name. This isn't a country of absolutes or absolute understanding
involving any topic; most people that have spent any time whatsoever
here understand that. I thank you for your support in the former
ridiculous flame war that I accidently started and then kept fanning.

Cheers from one teacher to another.