Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Julie Bove wrote on 28 Jun 2005 in alt.food.diabetic

> Now I realize that dried beans aren't something that all diabetics
> can eat. But I seem to be okay with them. Does anyone have a
> recipe that doesn't have too many additional carbs in it, such as
> molasses and brown sugar? I figure I might use a little molasses
> just for flavor. I also don't really want to add fruit. Most of
> the diabetic recipes seem to use fruit. To me that's just weird!
> Also, I can't use Worcestershire sauce because of my daughter's
> food allergies. I'd also like something I can make from scratch
> instead of using canned beans. Or at least use plain canned
> beans. Most recipes I see start with baked beans or pork and
> beans. Too much sweetener in those.

BOSTON BAKED BEAN GRATIN

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
an 8-ounce can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 tablespoons molasses
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (*You're on your own here*)
a pinch dried hot red pepper flakes
a 16-ounce can pink or black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon vegetables oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs

In a 7- to 8-inch flameproof skillet cook bacon over moderate heat
until crisp
and spoon off all but 1 tablespoon fat. Add onion and cook, stirring,
until
softened. Stir in tomatoes, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper
flakes,
beans, and salt to taste and simmer until liquid is thickened, about 5
minutes.

Preheat broiler.

In a small bowl stir together oil and mustard and add crumbs, tossing
combine ingredients well. Sprinkle crumbs over beans and broil about 4
inches
from heat until topping is crisp and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

Serves 2.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?