Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Julie Bove wrote on 28 Jun 2005 in alt.food.diabetic

> Now I realize that dried beans aren't something that all diabetics
> can eat. But I seem to be okay with them. Does anyone have a
> recipe that doesn't have too many additional carbs in it, such as
> molasses and brown sugar? I figure I might use a little molasses
> just for flavor. I also don't really want to add fruit. Most of
> the diabetic recipes seem to use fruit. To me that's just weird!
> Also, I can't use Worcestershire sauce because of my daughter's
> food allergies. I'd also like something I can make from scratch
> instead of using canned beans. Or at least use plain canned
> beans. Most recipes I see start with baked beans or pork and
> beans. Too much sweetener in those.

RECIPE: Boston Baked Beans
Only 1 message in topic - view as tree

Kate Connally Jun 11 1996, 3:00 am show options
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: Kate Connally >; - Find
messages by this author
Date: 1996/06/11
Subject: RECIPE: Boston Baked Beans
| Report Abuse

Here's my favorite bean recipe.
Kate

OSTON BAKED BEANS

1 lb. Great Northern beans
2 t. prepared mustard
pepper to taste
1 T. salt
onion powder to taste (or fresh, chopped onions to taste)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. molasses
2 T. vinegar
gr. cinnamon to taste (1/2-1 t., perhaps)
gr. cloves to taste (1/4-1/2 t., perhaps)
dash Worcestershire sauce
thick-sliced bacon (get the good stuff at the deli counter, not that
pathetic prepackaged stuff)

Soak beans overnight in cold water (in refrigerator if house is warm).
Change water and put in large pot and bring to boil. Simmer until
skins
wrinkle when you blow on them. Add remaining ingredients except bacon.
Put in large casserole. Bake at 250 F for 6-8 hours. DO NOT COVER.
If
liquid gets too low add water. It's good if they get a little dry on
top
and the sugar caramelizes. It gives it a good flavor. Stir this back
in
every so often. During the last half hour raise temp. to 350 and put
bacon pieces on top. Cook until bacon is crisp and brown.

--
It's not a question of where he grips it!
It's a simple question of weight ratios!

A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?