Default grill material question

I've got an old brick incinerator in the back yard that I thought I
might take down and rebuild as a grill. I'm looking for material for
the grill itself. I don't want expanded metal. I looked on the net
for ready -made inserts and all that popped up were yuppie gizmos made
of stainless steel with lots of useless features and selling for over a
kilobuck. I don't have any welding equipment at this time so I'm
hoping to find something already fabricated but not at that price. I
would also like to raise and lower it. Any opinions out there?
Thanks,
Dutch