Lew Bryson

"CharlieG" > wrote in message
news:VY1ve.26442$%Z2.9182@lakeread08...
> "Lew Bryson" > wrote in message Took your advice
> and hit Grey Lodge after having lunch the cheese
> steak place down on Torresdale last Wednesday. Selection was nice,
> but not thrilling - still worthy of a visit for any dedicated beer geek.

Two comments on that: one, if the selection wasn't thrilling, it changes
often and is often thrilling (and just what the hell is thrilling, anyway:
hops, hops and more hops, tossed liberally with high ABV?). Two, I get my
thrill behind the bar too -- the G-Lodge has a very broad whiskey selection
these days, and there's often a rare treat there.

> Overnighted in Breinigsville on the trip north and made two major
> mistakes. First was doing almost a full day of wine tasting in Lehigh
> Valley. . . Well, that was a waste. Second mistake was getting to
> Bethlehem Brew Works too early to catch SteelGaarten. Got to
> walk through and admire the bottle selection, but had to settle for
> BBW's house beers. The pale ale was unremarkable, and the
> weizen had some serious QA issues with lots of non-weizenbier
> things happening in the nose. The kid behind the bar was trying,
> but. . .

BBW is swinging hard, and fails to make contact at times. Their everyday
lineup does suffer somewhat from taproom timidity, IMO. But some of their
less everyday beers are excellent.

> Thanks again for the pointers to the cheese steak place that shall
> remain nameless and Grey Lodge. We owe you a few pints next
> time we head up to PA.

You just wanted to look at the chicks at Ch**k's; Frane musta drooled about
'em. Can't blame ya. Didja get a milkshake?

--
Lew Bryson

"GOOD or SHITE?" -- Michael Jackson, "Thriller", 1982
www.lewbryson.com