Gregory Morrow

Mark D wrote:

> I know of another Asian Store on Belmont just a few doors west of Clark
> St on the south side of the street. (Not a whole lot there though)

That's J. Toguri Mercantile, a mini - Japanese dept. store...some canned
goods and condiments in front, also all your sushi needs (but not the fish).
Gorgeous cheap gift wrap, cards, magazines, books, nick - nacks. All kinds
of rice cookers, etc. and some very nice home furnishings...

It's owned by the family of Iva Toguri, who was the REAL "Tokyo Rose" of
WWII fame (she was railroaded and spent a few years in federal pen when the
US extradited her back home [born in California]). Lovely lady, AFAIK she
still works at the store even though she must be 90...the family did good,
they own half the block,

Years ago (during - and - post - WWII, during the War West Coast Japanese
internees where eventually allowed to settle in "inland" places like
Chicago) the Belmont - Clark area used to have a big Japanese presence
(Scandinavian, too), now all the old folks have died and Toguri's is just
about the only remnant left...

--
Best
Greg