alzelt

Default Whole salmon, doubt

MEow wrote:
> The local supermarket has whole salmons fairly cheap these days, so
> I'm thinking of buying one.
>
> The fish are gutted, but they still have skin and head.
>
> I'm wondering:
>
> It's way too big for one person, so I'm thinking of freezing some of
> it, since it's so cheap as whole, but should I cut it into steaks/what
> else it can be cut into before freezing it, or is it better to freeze
> the part, which I don't use immediately, in one piece?
>
> Can I use the head and tail for anything?
>
> Any other advice about a whole salmon?

Just a thought, but we only buy whole salmon. What we do is have it
filleted. tell them you want head and bones, too. The SBF makes the
world's best salmon soup.

When you get home, freeze the bones and head for use in soup. Then take
the two fillets they give you and cut them up into sizes appropriate for
each meal. Then wrap each fillet in a piece of saran wrap, followed by
placing one in each of as many as you need, freezer bags.

When you are hankering for salmon, take out one package, and let it
defrost in the fridge.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener