kilikini

"Jeff K" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our local fish seller had fresh wahoo (also known as ono) in the shop
> and we decided to give it a try. I cooked it in the oven, since the
> flesh is very thick. I like almost any kind of fish, including mild
> and full-flavored varieties, but I have to say that wahoo did not
> impress. Calling it "firm-textured" is something of an understatement;
> "stiff-textured" (without any degree of flakiness) would be more
> appropriate. Frankly, it tasted like heated canned tuna--at a much
> higher price. Has anyone had a better experience with this fish?

Ono (Hawaiian word for excllent) has that name for a reason. Fresh Ono is
absolutely outstanding! It's meaty, but yet light. It's a favorite for
pan-frying, sauteeing and grilling. Any restaurant on Maui has it on the
menu - but for a price! You can have it prepared a multitude of ways, but
you won't find it for less than $25.

I have never heard of it baked, to be honest. Maybe it was just the
preparation that didn't work for this fish. Don't discount it - yet. Try
it coated in breadcrumbs or parmesan cheese or finely chopped macadamia nuts
and pan-fried. It's da bomb!

kili