Rupert

Dutch wrote:
> > wrote
>
> [..]
>
> > I think you'll find "factory-farming" usually refers to the intensive
> > rearing of animals. Have you got a justification for calling
> > mono-culture crop production "factory-farming"?

> Don't like people turning your pet pjoratives back on you eh?

Well, "factory-farming" is a simple descriptive term. It doesn't matter
very much what it actually refers to, I was just surprised that he
thought this was a correct application of the word.

Anyway, I intended (correctly or otherwise) to use the word to refer to
intensive rearing of animals. Furthermore this clearly involves a lot
more suffering than what he was referring to.

> > Anyway, it's all very well to abuse me for supporting these practices,
> > but you don't offer any serious alternative to doing so. If you had a
> > serious proposal for my further reducing the contribution I make to
> > animal suffering then I would consider it.

> Stop supporting commercial agriculture, it kills countless billions
> of animals. Anyway, it's you who proposed that killing animals is
> to be avoided, why should we now determine for you how you
> are going to live up to it? Do your own homework.

I'm sorry, can you quote me as saying that buying products whose
production involved the death of animals is absolutely prohibited? I
don't think you can. What I do think is that we should make every
reasonable effort to minimize our contribution to the suffering of
animals. And I have done my homework on that, I believe that the best
way to do it is to become vegan. If you've got some suggestions for how
I can do better I'm happy to listen to them.

I'm not altogether convinced that the suggestion "stop supporting
commerical agriculture" is entirely feasible for me. If you've got some
ideas as to how I can do it I'm happy to listen to those, as well.