Renny Renny is offline
Member

Location: Zhuhai, GuangDong Province, PRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hey folks,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a green puer from the last
few years, one that won't cost me an arm and a leg? Thus far, I haven't
been able to find anything in shops here. Which reminds me- does anyone
know of a place to get green puer in the Twin Cities area? If possible,
I'd like to be able to sniff before I buy.
No offense, but there is no such thing as a green puer more than a year old except in American marketing. Here, green puer simply means it was picked this year. Some older puer simply smells green, which is an indication of poor (no pun intended) quality. Green puer here is purchased for investment purposes. If its a good quality puer it will no longer smell green, the fermentation and/or aging will have improved it, and it will be much more valuable like good wine. Vendors often run out of aged stock and find ways to market "green" puer that range from truthful investment selling to outright fraud. Beware. Its easy to get burned here, let alone the states. I know because I make my living buying and selling tea in China. Moved here from America to marry a Cantonese girl and decided to stay.

I made a few more comments on this in my response today to Gills' thread about a good teapot for puer if you want to check it out. I give away green investment puer with purchases (its that cheap here) or give it away for shipping and a five dollar handling fee so don't spend an arm and a leg on it until you have educated yourself a little more. Good luck. I hope you find my comments useful. I'm pretty tired of seeing Americans get ripped off on this stuff.