Rhonda Anderson

kalanamak > wrote in news:_fJse.43$BD.12080
@news.uswest.net:

> Even more confusing, "black cumin" or kalajeera is a tiny seed the shape
> of cumin but thinner, and more pungent. Kalajeera is not applied to
> charnushka...the spice that looks like little chunks of coal, but "black
> cumin" sometimes is.
> blacksalt

That black cumin (apparently also called black caraway) is Nigella sativa.
Saw some at work - one of the guys at work had this packet of seeds they'd
found in a parcel they were inspecting. They were labelled black cumin, but
had no botanical name (which we need, to check if they're restricted or
not). Was able to use Gernot's website to identify it - that's one site I
added to our list of useful links a long time ago! It's especially useful
for the great photos.

I haven't used Nigella. Might add it to my list of spices to try.

Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia