Blake Jones

Default Guittard gourmet bittersweet

I realized on Thursday that your description of a chocolate that had
very few other components detectable rang another bell with me: the 74%
Bitter Dark Chocolate bar from Mes Recettes de Provence. Unfortunately
it had nibs blended in with the bar, which made it hard to judge the
chocolate by itself, but when I tried to ignore the nibs I decided that
it had a flavor that seemed pretty much just like pure ideal chocolate.
I've only seen this bar in one or two places, and I haven't seen a
non-nibby version (much less a bulk version), so ultimately it's hard to
make a good comparison.

In article >, Alex Rast wrote:
> First thing to do is to check the bulk bins at your local co-ops. Many
> of them will carry Guittard because the major West Coast distributor
> to the co-ops distributes Guittard, and Gourmet bittersweet is the
> distributor's "standard" bulk-bin bittersweet offering. [...]

The big co-op near me, which has perhaps the best bulk food selection of
any grocery store I've seen, doesn't carry it. They usually have El Rey
in break-up, as well as packaged bars from G&B and Valrhona, but I don't
remember seeing break-up Guittard. They might also have one that's not
labeled with a brand; if that's the case, and it's 63%, I'll assume it's
Guittard. I'll keep looking in any case.

>> there's a retailer here that's selling partial slabs of Domori's
>> Carenero Superior couverture

> Are you sure this is the Carenero Superior varietal? TTBOMK Domori
> sells blocs of the Grand Blend, Esmereldas, and Sur Del Lago but I've
> never seen Carenero Superior offered in bloc form.

I happened to be in the store a couple weeks ago just as the proprietor
was unpacking and opening the box of bars, and I saw that it was
labelled by Domori as Carenero Superior. Domori mentions it on their
web site too, under "All Chocolate" -> the "Couvertures" pull-down.

Blake