Alex Rast

Default Valrhona "Chuao" (was Criollo cocoa powder?)

at Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:16:24 GMT in
>, (JMF) wrote :

>"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
.. .

>> It's all immaterial, though, because ultimately what counts is the
>> quality of the chocolate. And in that respect, Amedei (at least IMHO)
>> is the clear winner. So as far as I'm concerned, it would be just as
>> well if Amedei did have an exclusive arrangement, and I'll continue to
>> buy Amedei, and not Valrhona, not because I have any misgivings over
>> the labelling, but

>because
>> the chocolate is better.

>I live in Pisa...I've been wanting to go visit Amedei for a while, but I
>realize now
>that I've got to be better prepared than this. Anybody want to say a few
>words about their various lines and what I should look out for when I go
>there?

There are both chocolates (i.e. confections made *with* chocolate) and
chocolate (i.e. pure chocolate bars). The chocolates are excellent,
although of course they don't deliver the pure chocolate experience. But do
try them. Definitely try the chocolates made with Chuao. Resist
assortments. Instead, custom-pick from flavours you like. And there's
nothing wrong with asking for a recommendation. Some people will let you
sample, and if you can get a sample, it's the best way to find out. But if
they *do* offer a sample, you should buy something from them, and not just
a token amount. It's a matter of ethics and being fair. Since they're
sticking their neck out by letting you try stuff, you owe it to them to
return the favour and actually buy stuff.

As for the chocolate, the varietals are considerably better than the
blends. The blends are OK (the 66% is pretty good) but there are better
companies for blended chocolate. The milk chocolate is worthless - don't
bother with it at all. But the varietals are superb, pretty much across the
board. Of course start with Chuao and buy as much as you can afford. The
Cru collection is really good too - I particularly liked the Madagascar and
the Trinidad. It's unfortunate they don't sell these in 50g bars like the
Porcelana or Chuao. Encourage them to do so when you stop by. If enough
people make this suggestion, perhaps they'll take it up.

Now, the Porcelana isn't IMHO as good as the Chuao, nor is it as good as
its rival Porcelana from Domori, but it's still worth trying. What I would
do is buy a Porcelana bar, and buy one from Domori. Then, get some polenta
meal and make a very, very watery, absolutely plain polenta - this means
just the corn and water. It should flow - like the consistency of gruel.
You don't need much, just a mugful. Then try the Amedei and Domori
Porcelanas side-by-side. What you do is taste one bar, drink some of the
warm polenta, then taste the other bar. It's best to eat the entire 50g
before proceeding to the second bar because there are flavour nuances you
won't catch unless you eat a relatively large amount. Incidentally, I must
add that Amedei has determined the *perfect* size and shape for a tasting
bar - i.e. the 50g bars, rather long, narrow, and thick, but not chunky.
Their packaging is also about as ideal as you can get - foiled paper inside
a box. If you add to that the fact that in the Chuao especially, you've got
perhaps the best chocolate in the world sitting inside, you have in one
instance the embodiment of the perfect chocolate distribution.

--
Alex Rast