Elaine Parrish

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, cathyxyz wrote:

> Elaine Parrish wrote:
>

> > Fried ripe tomatoes? That is interesting. I 've never tried that.
> > We eat cooked ripe toms in a variety of ways, but not battered and fried.
> > How do you fix your fried ripe toms?

> We cut them in thick slices, season them with salt/pepper and then fry
> them for a few minutes, turning once or twice... usually in the fat from
> the bacon that we have already fried. Very nice with bacon and eggs for
> breakfast or brunch.
>
> Cathy
> > I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it

Thanks, Cathy. That sounds good. I'll give it a try.

It's odd that I haven't run into that somewhere along the
way. 'Round here, when we eat tomatoes for breakfast, we make Tomato
Gravy. It's not as popular as Sawmill (sausage) gravy and it is something
that the older folks are more familiar with than the younger folks. It
comes from the days when milk was hard to come by and people were making
water gravy to feed their families.

When we have breakfast for dinner, it is common to serve sliced toms, but
they are cold. I'll try the warmed ones. I bet they'll be a lot better.

Elaine, too