Alex Rast

Default Criollo cocoa powder?

at Sat, 24 Apr 2004 03:04:19 GMT in <TOkic.14540$IW1.882682@attbi_s52>,
(Bud Fuddlacker) wrote :

>Did you mean to say all of the cocoa Valrhona uses to make its chocolate
>is Dutch-processed? Or are you addressing some cocoa powder that
>Valrhona sells?

Only the cocoa powder.

>If referring to their chocolate, this is amazing to me since I've not
>noted it on any of their labels...

Indeed, their chocolate is not Dutch-processed in general. (It'd be hardly
likely, given the characteristic fruity signatu Dutch processing pretty
much flattens fruity flavours.)

Not all Dutch cocoa is junk, nor is all junk chocolate Dutch-processed,
however. Some Guittard chocolate is Dutch processed, and yet it's still
outstanding. Meanwhile, Hershey's isn't Dutch-processed, and yet it's not
outstanding.

Nor are all chocolate Easter eggs low-quality. Ironically, Valrhona makes
them. You can also get eggs made from quality Callebaut chocolate. And
Domori sells a rather larger Easter egg, too. I make it a point on Easter
to get the high-quality chocolate eggs - and the kids *really* notice. As
in now every year when I arrive up at my sister's for Easter, the kids
crowd around with a "Where's the chocolate?" chorus. All of them are
thrilled.

As to my comment "why use Dutch cocoa if you're looking for the best" -
that applies within the context of using Chuao for hot chocolate. That
being said, I think "the best" is one where, if you're also using cocoa, it
won't entirely vanish beneath the Chuao. Otherwise, you're almost as well
off using dust.

Similarly, if you're using cocoa in/with something highly acidic, Dutch is
the way to go, otherwise everything will taste harsh. The classic is
chocolate and lemons. Dutch is almost a must in that application.

--
Alex Rast