DPM

Jim,

Sounds like mine, except my tin is 100g, and since it was a gift I have no
idea how much it cost. My son-in-law's father (odd - we don't have a single
word for that relationship in English) has a fairly large extended family in
the San Jose area, and from some comments he made I think the tea came from
them. But it too appears to be dark green twisted whole leaf. The taste is
on the grassy/vegetal side of the spectrum; my daughter thinks it tastes a
lot like Japanese green which, since I understand that Vietnam now supplies
a lot of tea to Japan, is not surprising.

Regards,
Dean

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My metro area has a large Vietnamese population catered by Chinese and
> Vietnamese stores. When I see the Vietnamese tea selection it is like
> the first time I saw Chinese teas. They have their own nomenclature
> with corresponding Chinese tea characters. I have a tin of Thai Nguyen
> $4/150g with dark green twisted whole leaf. The selections I see are
> packed in Hong Kong. Hedley's Tea is Vietnamese packed in Ceylon.
>
> Jim
>
> DPM wrote:
> > "Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
> > news
> > >
> > > There's a Vietnamese green that's decidedly above commodity level
> > > called Thai Nguyen. I believe you spend some of your time in DC; you
> > > might check Teaism, which has carried it in the past.
> > >

> > My son-in-law's father (who is Vietnamese himself) gave me a tin of Thai
> > Nguyen just last week. It is a very nice green, and although I've had

Wuyi