Judy Bolton

"Weiler" > wrote in message

> Hello. Does anyone have a butter/sugar cookie type recipe that is
> particularly good for use with cookie cutters? That is to say, that
> will hold it's shape and tastes really good?
>
> Thanks ...Kristina

Yes, this is the recipe my MIL gave me, and we all love it. Make sure you
remove the cookies from the baking sheet immediately or they will get too
done.
Sugar Cookies - Makes about 5 dozen cookies

1 1/2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar

1 cup butter or margarine (butter will taste better) at room temperature

1 egg

1 teaspoon real vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Mix sugar and butter. Add egg and vanilla/almond flavourings; mix
thoroughly. In a separate bowl, add the dry ingredients, and mix them
well. Then, add dry ingredients to wet mixture, and blend well. Refrigerate
2 - 3 hours.

Once dough has been chilled for the proper amount of time, pre-heat the oven
to 375F. Divide the dough in half (place the other half of dough in fridge
to stay cold until ready to use), and roll about 3/16'' thick on lightly
floured pastry cloth or clean counter-top. Cut with cookie cutters. If you
do not plan to decorate with icing, you can then sprinkle with sugar, and
place on lightly greased baking sheet. If you want to decorate with the
icing (recipe following), omit the sprinkling of sugar, and simply place on
the sheet. Bake 7 - 8 minutes - do not let them become brown, just lightly
golden at most. Remove immediately and cool on racks or paper.