Old 31-05-2005, 05:01 AM
D. Gerasimatos

Tom S wrote:

I see your point, which is certainly valid. Actually, it applies to my own
operations! Chteau Burbank doesn't get _any_ fruit from the Burbank area.
It's all from Santa Barbara County at this time, and maybe Napa and Sonoma
(or other) someday as well.

Still, that's not the same thing as misappropriating a prestigious place
name to enhance the cachet of some very inferior crap. If anything, it's
quite the opposite. Also, my bottle is very clearly labeled to indicate the
origin of the fruit.

I think it's exactly the same thing.

In the case of Napa Ridge e.g., I'd bet the appellation indicated is
"California". That's as non-specific as it's possible to get and still be
made from California fruit. Typically, that would indicate the San Joaquin
Valley, which is much better suited to growing raisins, almonds and cotton
than grapes for table wine.

Sure, but they aren't claiming it is from the Napa Valley AVA.

Dimitri