Just a quick note to thank all you kind folks who've come so suddenly
to my rescue. Shooting water at the thing seems to be favourite,
despite a few dissenting voices..

Funny. So simple but I'd never thought of it, myself. Assumed I'd end
up with a sort of volcanic slush.

And as for the fact that we here in the UK (and, I think in most of
Europe) 'barbeque' (I barbeque / thou barbeque-est / he, she and it
barbeques) and you (in the US, I've assumed) 'grill' only goes to show
once more that we are two peoples separated by a common language. Not
that we don't 'grill', of course. It's simply that when we do it
outside and set fire to everything combustable, we 'barbeque'! The
difference is useful in helping friends discover they're doing
something else suddenly.

Never mind, I'll take all your suggestions on board and only good can
come of it.

Thanks everybody.

Derek