Michel Boucher

wrote in
oups.com:

> Hello all,
> I am in need of a rice pudding recipe that would use rice that's
> already been cooked. I prepared rice for a pilaf and it got just a
> tiny bit too done so I figured I'd try to make rice pudding from
> it. A simple recipe would be best that doesn't involve cooking the
> pudding in a water bath or anything because unfortunatly I won't
> have time for a recipe with special needs. :-)

I was thinking the same thing today. Found this recipe in my
unsorted pile which I may try later tonight. Although I have not
tried it, I do believe it follows the grand old design and its
origins are respectable, although some here, I am sure, will
disagree. Note that I will be using short grain sushi rice and not
long grain or basmati.

Rice Pudding

1 cup Rice, cooked
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Raisins
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 Egg, separated
Nutmeg

Beat the egg yolks and add the sugar and milk and stir into the rice.
Add the butter and raisins. Pour into a buttered baking dish. Beat
the egg whites until frothy, add the powdered sugar and spread on top
of rice pudding. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake at 325-F for 30
minutes.

Source: Pennsylvania Dutch Cook Book - Fine Old Recipes, Culinary
Arts Press, 1936.

--

[...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth

Monty Python's Universe Song