muha

You do not need pancreatic enzymes. Amylases are present in germinating
grains - like malted barley. That is how rice syrup is made - there are
no simple sugars in rice, before you add malt to break down the rice
starch.

Please note that complete enzymatic hydrolysis would take ridiculous
quantity of enzyme or time (it would get mouldy faster). So what you
would get is actualy a mix of glucose, maltose and higher oligos,
called maltodextrin.

You can do hydrolysis of starch by heating it with diluted sulfuric
acid. To get the acid out, you neutralise with powdered CaCO3 and
filter.

Lacustral wrote:
> I'd like to make my own glucose syrup, using enzymes - can somebody

help
> me with the process? Apparently you use alpha and beta amylases -

they
> use them in beer brewing sometimes, but I might look for amylases
> from bacteria & fungi, rather than the pancreatic enzymes that are (I

> think) used in beer brewing.
>
> I've read that you cook a starch/water mixture, keeping it at 150 F
> somehow (what's a good way to keep a constant temperature?) and at

pH