Dee Randall

"Bronwyn" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>A bit of a long article to read all thru' but I get the idea <g>.
> I don't work, but I shop every day in the 20/20 fashion. That way I get
> the freshest vegetables and or idea for meat/fish for the evening
> dinner.

> Bronwyn
> Oz

You are lucky that you can find the 'freshest' vegetables, etc. Where I
live, when shopping, its more like trying to figure out the day of the week
that the grocery store might have fresh vegetables, not daily. Having never
been in that habit, I buy weekly or bi-weekly and buy the freshest I can
get, storing all appropriately. Also I live 30 miles away from the
'necessary' grocery store shopping & 70 miles from "real" grocery shopping.
At those more-crowded grocery stores 70 miles away, I find produce as a
whole not much fresher than those at my less-crowded grocery store 30 miles
away, but more selection and perhaps a 'little' cheaper.

I recall several decades ago in Flagstaff, AZ at a big-name grocery store --
mostly out of business now-- I complained to the produce mgr. that there
wasn't an item that wasn't decayed and my daughter was embarrassed (for me)
for complaining. This was the worst I remember seeing. It's still in my
memory. I know the best thing to do is just not buy the produce that isn't
fresh, but I've been told that they don't make money on produce, but it is
there because it 'has' to be there. I try to buy produce at a big
Asian/Mexican market 50 miles away when I go, but I get too greedy/ecstatic
and have to throw half of it away, but it's fun having it on hand, and as it
costs no more to buy, including the waste, I go ahead and buy more than I
know that I'll need.

Dee