Tippi

> > They adhere to the unspoken racist policy of charging non-Chinese
> > "Tax" on lunches. Quite a few places in Chinatown do this. The
> > Chinese patrons don't get "tax" added onto thier bills, but the
> > non-Chinese do.

Around here (Toronto) some Chinatown restaurents will forgo the tax if
you pay with cash. They don't do it for non-Chinese probably because
they're afraid someone would report them to the government.

> That reminds me of another
> turn-off: places that have Chinese menus that are not
> translated--and that they won't give non-Asians.

Reminds me of the time I was in a conference in a big hotel in L.A. The
Japanese restaurent had a menu with 2 different sections, 1 in English
and 1 in Japanese. The English section items came with things like
lettuce salad, the other section offered more traditional dishes like
grilled whole fish (with head) which came in a bento box with Japanese
sides like pickles. Luckily I know enough Japanese to order the "real"
stuff. Don't know if they still do that now.