Mike Avery

GMAN wrote:

> What about the K5SS model, its a hobart made unit that was given to me
> by an old lady in our neighborhood. How old is it (I assume 70's era)
> and does it have nylon gears, and does it use a single speed motor
> with gears?

It's GEAR, not gearS. One gear is nylon, and designed to be the
failsafe in case the unit is severely overloaded. Without opening it, I
couldn't tell you if it had A nylon gear or not, but I am inclined to
think it does.

Also, it does not have a single speed motor with a transmission. The
models with transmissions are pretty obvious. They have 3 speeds, and
you have to stop the mixer to change gears. The variable speed motors,
which is all the K4, K5 and newer machines have a slide that goes from 0
to 10 or something like that. The motor changes pitch as it speeds up
or slows down.

>PS: this thing is mint, not even dirty or scratched at all.

All the Kitchen Aid models are designed to be easy to clean and use a
fairly tough enamel, so they tend to keep looking good unless they are
abused.

Mike