GMAN

In article therwhen.com>, A ported usenet newsgroup > wrote:
>Joschi Kley wrote:
>
>> Mike Avery wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Hobart era KitchenAid, a K45SS.

>> Does that mean, that all K45SS do incorporate the technology of Hobart
>> era KAs?
>> I bought mine (K45SS 250W 220V for Europe) a month ago as a special
>> edition called "Classic". The Motor does sound very sturdy to me - a
>> lot different from the "Ultra Power" my friends have at home, but I
>> did not yet open it to search for any nylon parts.
>>
>> Or is it just the normal modern machine with all it`s weaknesses?
>>

>Hard to say. The nylon part is, except to some people who seem to enjoy
>whinging, a non-issue. It will fail when the machine is abused, and
>since the failure point is known, the cost of repairs is minimized.
>
>ANY machine can and will fail when abused long enough and hard enough.
>My 70's vintage KA has the nylon gear. Neither the mixer nor the gear
>have failed yet.
>
>As a side note, the issues with KA's failing do not have to do with the
>wattage of the motor. When we were running a bakery we had an ancient
>Hobart which was only a 300 or 400 watt mixer. It mixed 30 quarts of
>dough with aplomb. All day long, batch after batch.
>
>The issue is, at risk of repeating myself, that Hobart mixers have
>transmissions and single speed motors. Thus, the motor is always
>running at its optimum speed. Variable speed motors, such as are used
>in most consumer products, have an inherent problem. Kneading bread
>takes lots of torque and power. But it has to be delivered at a low
>speed, since dough should be kneaded slowly. And that is where
>electrical motors are least able to deliver torque and power. Which
>causes motors to overheat and fail.
>
>Mike

What about the K5SS model, its a hobart made unit that was given to me by an
old lady in our neighborhood. How old is it (I assume 70's era) and does it
have nylon gears, and does it use a single speed motor with gears?

I also could use a manual if some kind soul could photocopy and sell me a copy
of it.

PS: this thing is mint, not even dirty or scratched at all.