Rusty

Tim923 wrote:
> I notice some people sell unopened soda bottles and cereal boxes from
> past decades (1950s thru '80s for example).
>
> Although many don't want to try eating or drinking them, and the
> sellers recommend not to, is the food still good.
>
> Could a cereal box packed away for 20 years still be good? Thanks.

About six months ago I bought a book on Ebay called "Sourdough Jacks
Cookery".
It was printed in 1970. It came with a small plastic bag of dried
sourdough starter stapled to the inside cover. Other people in
rec.food.sourdough reported that they had revived the starter from this
book. I gave it a try and after about a week I had a jar of bubbly
starter that had been waiting 35-years to wake up. I've made sourdough
bread and rolls from this starter and they are really good. So dried
sourdough starter can be revived and reproduce after 35-years.

Rusty