Wazza

"rmg" > wrote in message
m...
:
: HI,
:
: I'm using a preserved meyer lemon recipe which constitutes blanching and
: slicing the lemons. mixing with coarse salt, and jarring covered in lemon
: juice.
: The lemons are apparently used in Moroccan cooking - I just didn't want mine
: to go to waste.
:
: I have 2 questions.
:
: 1. The recipe I'm using from epicurious just uses lemons, salt, and lemon
: juice. I saw another recipe which includes a few cinnamon sticks, allspice
: berries, and peppercorns. Are these essential? I have them all. Do they
: compromise the "meyer perfume?"
:
: 2. Has anyone used these for things besides Moroccan dishes (which I'm sure
: I'll try). If so what did you do? Did you also use the pulp? Thanks
:
The original recipe (?) did not use the spices, and some purist would not add
spices.
My feeling is you can always add the flavour later, it does nothing more for the
preservation (than salt/citric acid would do).
As you may have found, the flavour changes over time, but jars can last a long
time (and do in my kitchen because I start a jar whenever I can get cheap
lemons/limes). Opinions differ as to whether to use the pulp or not, again
purists would not, but I can't waste that lovely flavour.
Uses, obviously in certain (not all) tagines especially if the lamb is a bit
fatty. With fish and shellfish, just a tiny amount en papillote. Added to
mayonnaise and as a base for Indian pickles (in oil). But be careful of fusion
type dishes, they can turn into 'confusion' dishes ;?)
HTH
cheers
Wazza

: