Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:28:47 -0600
Mike Avery > wrote:

> GMAN wrote:
>
> > What about the K5SS model, its a hobart made unit that was given to me
> > by an old lady in our neighborhood. How old is it (I assume 70's era)
> > and does it have nylon gears, and does it use a single speed motor
> > with gears?

> It's GEAR, not gearS. One gear is nylon, and designed to be the
> failsafe in case the unit is severely overloaded. Without opening it, I
> couldn't tell you if it had A nylon gear or not, but I am inclined to
> think it does.
>
> Also, it does not have a single speed motor with a transmission. The
> models with transmissions are pretty obvious. They have 3 speeds, and
> you have to stop the mixer to change gears. The variable speed motors,
> which is all the K4, K5 and newer machines have a slide that goes from 0
> to 10 or something like that. The motor changes pitch as it speeds up
> or slows down.

Regarding this, I think Viking is stretching the limits of reasonable
english in their description of their fine mixer.

They describe it as having a "metal gear transmission" but the truth of
the matter is that it has a 6 speed variable control on the side, and the
manual certainly doesn't tell you to switch it off to shift gears.

Perhaps the transmission they speak of is the three separate accessory
attachments which turn at different speeds? Or perhaps they mean only that
power is transmitted through metal gears.

Kenwood (and by extension Delonghi) make similar claims about their
stand mixers. fwiw they also fudge the maximum capacity ratings a bit by
not specifying right up front (as Viking does) that you can mix a lot more
pounds of thin batter than bread dough.

There's also the problem of reporting the power of the motor in watts,
which makes no sense at all, but no less sense than grading automotive
engines in horsepower. foot-pounds of torque is where it's all at.

I'm not saying that any of these mixers aren't going to work out for a
home baker. As a geek i don't like the idea of a variable speed motor at
all, but i have to admit that the two-speed motor in my aincent bosch is
still kicking.

> >PS: this thing is mint, not even dirty or scratched at all.
> >

> All the Kitchen Aid models are designed to be easy to clean and use a
> fairly tough enamel, so they tend to keep looking good unless they are
> abused.

I'm still kinda tempted to find an old N-50 in need of service and a
machine shop willing to overhaul it and powder coat the casing . . . It's
not that i think i need one, I just like the idea.