Vox Humana

"Rina" > wrote in message
> OH MY... I'm going to have to remember these tips.
>
> As sewer pipes are just being installed in our neighborhood, I've told my
> husband as soon as we connect, We're getting a garbage disposer! There

must
> be a whole new set of rules to learn.

The first rule is to get the biggest, most powerful disposer you can afford.
I wouldn't get anything less than 3/4 horsepower. An undersized disposer is
worse than none at all. If you can't put vegetable peels down your disposal
without problems, then what good is it? I lived in apartments for years
that had terrible disposals. Inadequate disposers will jam when you put
steak bones in them. With heavy loads of food they tend to clog because
they can't adequately grind the food. When we moved into this house it had
the cheapest disposer the builder could find. I replaced it with a model
called the "Bone Crusher." I have never had a single problem with it
clogging or jamming. It takes anything I can feed down it including bones.
I also don't have problems with odor because it effectively grinds the food
which is then flushed away. A cup of Clorox down the disposal will take
care of any smell. Also, you can put a few handsfull of ice into the
disposal to scrub the mechanism. That will clean off bits of decaying food
that can cause odors. The only thing that I don't put into the disposal is
corn husks.