Mike Avery

The Cook wrote:

> http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?S...Code=HOBN50-64
>
>But it sure looks like my Hobart era Kitchen Aid.

It's pricey enough..... but it's better than your Hobart era
KitchenAid. The Hobart era KitchenAid mixers still had variable speed
motors, which are inherently at a disadvantage when kneading bread. The
motor is required to develop lots of torque when it's at low speed. And
electric motors don't like doing that.

The mixer in the picture, which has been made for a long, long time
(look on eBay for a hobart N-50 and you'll see some real antiques) has a
geared transmission. That means the mixer has only three speeds, but
they are three carefully chosen speeds. And it also means that the
motor is running at its optimum speed no matter what speed the mixer is
running at.

I have a Hobart era KitchenAid, a K45SS. And when I read the manual it
warns me that it can't knead more than two batches of bread in a row,
and that it then needs a 40 minute rest.

I wonder how many people with KitchenAid problems just assume it can
knead and knead and knead all day long.... until it fries. And then
it's a piece of junk in the eye of the purchaser.

Mike