Gregory Morrow

Default Kona coffee, a la Smithfarms

Boron Elgar wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:28:09 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>
> >They let me know
> >when the freshest stuff comes in (they roast all their own beans). I go
> >through a pound about every week or so, and I let them grind it. Then it
> >resides in a zip loc bag in the freezer. Tastes just fine to me and my
> >guests...very little if any loss of taste. We aren't a bunch of
> >professional tasters in Sao Paulo or wherever who take a sip and then

spit
> >it out. We just like a nice cuppa Joe...

> They must be letting you know when they roast, then, as green,
> unroasted beans can be stored for ages...months or longer ...the clock
> starts ticking on "freshness" once it is roasted.

Yup, they have their own warehouse and do the roasting there. They used to
do the roasting right down at the corner - one of my fave smells (although
not all agree).

And professional
> tasters are all over the place. Even Manhattan has a bunch of them.
> >
> >I like good coffee, but it *is* just coffee - I'm not going to be all

anal
> >to the nth degree about it. As long as it's reasonably good, I'm happy.

No
> >reason to get all silly and snobbish about it. I've got plenty of other
> >things to be silly and snobbish about ;-)
> >

> This has nothing to do with snobbishness. Some folks like margarine,
> some like butter. Some can drink Thunderbird and others prefer
> vintage. Some like to drive and are happy with a Geo Metro & others
> need a BMW for contentment. There really are differences in qualities
> among such things. That one person notices and is bothered by anything
> less than the best of something, means nothing more nor less than
> that. Preference.
>
> Really, of all places to talk about the desire for quality foods and
> beverages to be silly or anal, this group surely isn't the place.

I know this. I was simply responding to the other poster :-)

--
Best
Greg likes butter, good wine, but doesn't drive....