Kate Connally

Default dinner this week

I tried a new recipe on Sunday - Country Captain.
I've never made it before. It's okay. Tasty, but
not something I'm gonna make again. I guess it's
just not to my personal taste. Some others may
really love it. Here's the recipe. I used chicken
thighs as I am not a fan of white meat. I needed to
cook it longer than the recipe said - about 1 hour
after you put it all together and bring to a boil.
If you are using a whole chicken you will have thighs
and they will need that long to cook. I don't know
about the breast.

Kate

COUNTRY CAPTAIN

1 frying chicken, cut in pieces
1/2 c. flour
salt and ground pepper, to taste
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic
3/4 c. finely chopped green pepper
1/2 c. raisins
1 tbsp. curry powder
1 tsp. thyme
2 c. chopped canned tomatoes
1/2 c. toasted, slivered almonds

Dredge chicken in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off excess.
Heat oil and butter in a heavy skillet large enough to hold chicken in
one layer, or cook in batches. Brown chicken on all sides; remove from
pan. To the skillet, add onion, garlic, peppers, raisins, curry powder,
and thyme, stirring until vegetables are wilted. Add tomatoes and salt
and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, stirring, and add chicken pieces,
skin side up. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked thoroughly, about
30 minutes. Serve with cooked rice, toasted almonds, and chutney on the
side. (This dish, known throughout Georgia and much of the southern
United States, dates to the early 1800's. There are several versions of
its origin. One story says that it was introduced to Savannah by the
captain of a vessel that plied the spice route from India. Another tale
says that it's named for the native non-commissioned officers in India,
"Country Captains". A known fact is that it was the favorite entree of
President Franklin Roosevelt, introduced to him by his cook at Warm
Springs, Georgia.)
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”