Kate Connally

Tony Rice wrote:

> Kate Connally > wrote in :
>
> > I prefer to make my own from a clone recipe. It tastes
> > just like the real thing that you get at the Skyline
> > stores in Cinn. Actually, I like the texture slightly
> > better.

> Care to share?

I've posted this before. Plus I think I got it from
one of the newsgroups - not sure. As far as I'm concerned
the only way to eat it is 5-way so I just put the beans in
when I make it - saves dirtying another pot.

Kate

QUEEN OF CHILIS
(Cincinnati-style Chili)

3 onions
1 lb. ground chuck
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup barbeque sauce (I used K.C. Masterpiece)
1 cup water
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, grated
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. salt
tomato juice, as needed
9 oz. spaghetti, cooked and buttered
1 16-oz. can kidney beans, heated
1 lb. Cheddar cheese, shredded
oyster crackers

Chop 2 of the onions and set aside. Chop remaining onion fine. Salt a
large skillet. Turn heat to medium and add meat, finely chopped onion,
and garlic. Break up meat with fork and cook until it is browned.
Drain fat. Add barbeque sauce and water. Bring to a boil. Add
remaining seasonings. Cover and simmer over very low heat 30 minutes,
stirring and tasting occasionally, adding tomato juice if mixture is
getting too dry. Chili is best when allowed to age overnight in
refrigerator and reheated.

To construct the plate of 5-way chili, layer spaghetti on a plate (a
small oval plate is traditional), top it with hot chili, then with a
sparse layer of beans, then chopped onions. Pat on plenty of cheese
while chili is still hot and serve immediately, with oyster crackers on
the side. Serves 4.

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”