Mike Van Pelt

In article .com>,
aem > wrote:
>Bob (this one) wrote:
>> Nutrition activists like the Center for Science in the Public
>> Interest are scaring Americans away from technology that could
>> help us lose weight. [snip article]
>> Jeff Stier, Esq., is an associate director of the American
>> Council on Science and Health.

>Non-U.S. rfc-ers may not be aware that the conflict between the CSPI
>and the ACSH is sadly typical of the current American political
>landscape. That is, the CSPI is a "liberal" organization, generally
>very skeptical of corporate practices and motives and in favor of
>oversight and regulation, while the ACSH is a "conservative"
>organization, generally very skeptical of government and regulation.

ACSH hadn't entered my awareness until now, but the CSPI you
could hardly avoid hearing about in the U.S. -- They have nearly
weekly press conferences, with extensive fawning media coverage,
always with all-too-predictable hyperventilated scaremongering.
Chinese food is loaded with deadly sodium and if you eat it you
will die. Fettucini Alfredo is a heart attack on a plate and
if you eat it you will die. Etc., etc., etc.

>They fight with one another about just about everything except
>tobacco, and whatever actual science supports the position of
>either group gets quickly lost in ideological rhetoric. -aem

Actual science... What a concept.

--
Mad Science means never having to say | Mike Van Pelt
"What's the worst thing that could happen?" | mvp at calweb.com
-- Kevyn, schlockmercenary.com | KE6BVH