Timothy Hartley

In message >
Emery Davis > wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:49:55 +0100, Timothy Hartley > said:
>
> ] I do find it easier to buy drinkable reds as a house wine than drinkable
> ] whites. Our long standing red is a Morgon bought at the vineyard for about
> ] £3.60. Amongst the whites we drink regularly are a (Sauvignon de) St. Bris
> ] and a Côtes d_Auxerre Chardonnay bought, again at the vineyard, for about
> ] the same price. The truth is that ther is a lot of decent wine in France
> ] for about that money if you can be bothered (or have the time for the fun)
> ] to look for it.
> ]
>
> Care to share more details, Tim?

The St.Bris (and the Côtes d_Auxerre Chardonnay) is from Defrance although
those who like a greener more upfront style might like to try Goisot.

The Mogon we usually buy is from Roland Petit at Domaine de Montplain though
we have also had other good Beaujolais from both of the Caves Cooperatives
at Fleurie and Chiroubles and also from M. Pein at the Domaine de Rochebonne
at Theizé in Southern Beuajolais. Whilst the latter is obviously not Cru
Beujolias it provides very decent drinking at a very fair price - about
£2.80 a bottle when I last bought some. In fact I shall hunt out a bottle
for supper, this having whetted my appetite or thirst.

Whilst on the subject several of the Maconnais cooperatives also provide
good everyday drinking at a fair price — Lugny and Vinzelles spring to mind
as does the Cave at Buxy for Montagny and cheap red Pinots.

Cheers,

Tim Hartley