Kent

"phyteach" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Craig Busch wrote:
>> It was suggested that I consider a WSM. Being new to this, I see

> myself
>> doing what is called grilling now. Eventually the idea of smoking

> the
>> occassional ham or turkey sounds good. I would appreciate any

> comments
>> here. From my perspecitive and limited knowledge on this, it seems

> the
>> WSR and Kettle Grill are two different things.
>> Thank you

> Craig,
>
> My advice would be to start with the kettle. It sounds as though
> grilling (burgers, dogs, steaks sausage etc.) is your prime focus, and
> the kettle does a fantastic job in that regard. For about 10 months
> out of the year, I cook on my kettle to the near exclusion of the
> apparati in my kitchen. I also learned to Q on the kettle (admittedly
> an ongoing process after about 1 year), and I found that I enjoyed it
> enough to move to another piece more suited explicitly to Q. I opted
> for a Char-Broil silver smoker, and I am going to do my first ribs in
> it this afternoon. I guess what I am trying to say is the kettle will
> do everything from burgers to brisket, and depending on your evolving
> tastes, you cna stay with the kettle or branch out. I have never heard
> of a kettle owner that was disappointed with it, or wanted to go back
> to "spit spit" gas "spit blech..."
>
> If you do get the kettle, get the hinged food grate so that you
> can add fuel during longer cooks. I have been able to get 5 hours (at
> a slow cook of about 230 deg F) out of a kettle w/o re-fueling but when
> you need to, it's nice not to have to find a place for your nearly
> finished treasure on the grate.
>
> Best of luck, and if you pay attention to guys like Brick, Pawlowski,
> Bugg, Demidavicus, Whitfurrows and many others here you'll find that
> you can do great things with whatever you buy.
>
> Scott

A great post! I agree word for word with Scott's statement regarding the
Weber kettle. I have the Weber Performer kettle with the gas lighter, and I
love it. I also have the Weber Silver Genesis B side by side, and I
virtually never use it, only the kettle. The Meco smoker is used lesss than
1% of the time, and remains behind the garage, stored. It is, however, used
rarely.
Kent