Margaret Suran

Steve Pope wrote:
> Margaret Suran > wrote:
>

>>If the deli were a kosher one, you would certainly know it. First of
>>all, there would be a certificate in the window, signed by a rabbi,
>>which would attest to that fact. Also, the place would be closed on
>>all major Jewish holidays and every week from a couple of hours before
>>sundown on Friday, until either an hour after sundown on Saturday
>>night, or until Sunday.

> Except for 2nd Avenue Deli in NYC, which is certified as
> kosher yet stays open seven days a week.
>
> Steve

You will not see any obviously Orthodox Jews eating at the 2nd Ave.
Deli. They have (or had) a Succah on the sidewalk for Succoth, but
you only see regular diners in it, not the ones traditionally dressed,
with sidelocks over their ears and under their head coverings and
Tsitses (sp?) hanging down from under the shirt or jacket. Lately,
there seems to be more compromise with some Orthodox Jews when it
comes to Kosher Laws, but the really Orthodox ones have become ever
more adherent to those laws.

This is something so intimate and personal, I feel weird even
discussing it. Not having grown up in a kosher household, I do not
consider myself qualified to discuss it. Every time I do, I find out
the next day, that I have been mostly wrong. (